Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is a study period in the UK right for you?

What age do I need to be to study abroad in the UK?

Usually most applicants are aged between 15 & 19 but we can sometimes place students who are younger.

Am I ready to participate in a study programme in the UK?

It is worth mentioning that many students, who are initially uncertain if they will be able to cope with studying in a foreign language, find that after three to four weeks of being immersed in an English environment, feel far more confident and do not experience any problems. For study periods up to six months, the school will normally set their own English assessment if they decide this is necessary. For study periods over six months, a conditional offeris made prior to you providing evidence of an average score of 5.5+ in a UKVI Academic IELTS English test.

Do I need to be an above average student to study abroad in the UK?

No. Schools are available to suit students of all academic abilities. The most important point is that you should really want to come to England and be strongly motivated to work as hard as possible.

Will I lose a year in my school at home if I study abroad?

This usually depends on the regulations of your own school so we would advise you to discuss the matter with a teacher who is familiar with the rules. Unlike many organisations, we can usually offer you the chance to choose the length of period that you wish to study in England. This can help if you have to conform to rules laid down by your school.

Are the A-level exams and International Baccalaureate recognised by Universities in my country?

The courses offered by schools in the UK are recognised by many universities across the world. If it is your intention to study abroad for the two year course in England and then return to a university in your country we recommend that you approach either the Ministry of Education or some of the universities you may wish to attend to discuss the acceptance of the A-levels and IB course.

Dietary matters: Does it matter if I am a vegetarian?

Not at all but you must make this point very clear to us before we place you with a host family. If your dietary requirements are very restricted please make this clear on your application form and we will do our best to accommodate you.

Do I need a visa for studying in the UK?

For study periods up to six months:
A visa is not required for EU students and for most non-EU students (we will advise non-EU students if they require a short-term study visa).

For study periods over 6 months:
All students require a student visa.

back to top

2. How do I apply through Barnes?

How can I apply for a study period with Barnes?

Our initial 1 page application form can be downloaded from our website.  After this has been completed and returned along with your latest school report we will recommend a choice of suitable schools to select from. We can then help you decide through correspondence and video discussions. However, if you have any questions before you wish to send any information to us, please either email us on or fax or call us on 00 44 117 904 1137.

When should I apply for a study period?

We have no closing dates for applications.  In the past our students have been able to secure a place as late as the week before term starts in the UK! This is still possible, if the study period is less than 6 months and a visa isn't required. However, it is advisable to apply earlier so that the best choice of schools is available. For September start dates most students apply between Christmas and Easter. If there is likely to be much competition for your choice (i.e. the highest performing state and private schools) you will have the best chance to secure a place if you apply before January for a September start date.

Does sending in an application form commit me to anything?

No. If you are applying for a place in a state high school with host family your free unlimited consultation period will begin as soon as your application form has been received and you may withdraw your application at anytime.   If you are applying for a private school there is no application fee you don't pay an application fee to Barnes but you may need to pay a registration fee to the school you choose as part of the process of securing a place at the school. 

When I have sent my application form what happens next?

High schools with host families:
When we have enough information we will aim to provide you with details of the two or three high schools that best fit your requirements. When you have decided which school you would like to attend, we send detailed application papers for you to complete. After checking you have completed everything we will arrange for you to have an interview with the school, which is mainly a discussion about the subjects you would like to study. When a suitable place has been offered you can secure our services by signing and returning our contract with a deposit. For students studying for more than 6 months, a visa will be required and so we will guide you through this process which will include you passing a Secure English Language Test in your home country - full details will be given. In good time before you are due to travel to England we will send you information to prepare you for your study period, provide details of your host family and encourage you to start to build up a good relationship with your host family before travelling. Don't forget we will be available at any time to answer any questions you may have.  It is not uncommon for a student and their parents to wish to visit a host family - also the school - before the intended stay commences.  We will always try to make this possible and you can be sure that we will give you all the help that we can to make the required arrangements.

Boarding schools:
Again we will enter a detailed period of consultation so that we can understand your requirements and then recommend the best boarding schools to suit you.  When we have enough information from you to help us to provide details of two or three boarding schools that best meet your requirements, we will help you decide between these schools, prepare you for any interviews and arrange visits to schools where necessary. Our reputation with the schools along with you being fully prepared for the interview will give you the best chance of securing a place at the boarding school of your choice.

Are you always available for advice?

From the time you send in your application form we are your main point of contact throughout the whole process.  Moreover,  if you stay with one of our host families, we will continue to be the main point of contact throughout your period of study in the UK.   In addition to that, if you are residing with a host family we always have a Local Representative in the area who may be contacted at anytime.  As a family organisation we know it is important for you and your family to have a point of contact throughout your stay where you can seek advice at short notice and if necessary, we can react quickly to any worrying situation that may arise.

back to top

3. How do I decide on a package to suit me?

Will I always know which school I will be studying at before I commit to a booking?

Yes. The school will have offered you a place before you make a commitment.  We believe that our students have good experiences as a result of being fully involved in selecting a school which is suitable for them.

How do you select which schools to use for the programmes you offer?

The main criteria for selecting schools is their desire to integrate international students into their school. We only work with schools that consistently prove to us that they provide exceptional care and understanding to our students while they are studying abroad.

Will there be other international students at my school?

We place students into many schools and areas around the country and have a mixture of smaller and larger schools into which we place students. In all cases, we want the number of international students to be a very small percentage of the overall number of students, so that our students have the best opportunity to make British friends and to have an individual experience in the UK. When we are placing students into a smallers school we only place up to six students into the school, whereas in a larger school we will sometimes place more. Students will always have the opportunity to mix with predominantly English students to maximise your experience in England, which we encourage. 

How do I choose a suitable school?

During the consultation period we take into account all the information you provide to us: the application form, your age, your interests, your personality, your grades, the letter of recommendation from your school, and the duration of your stay. We then endeavour to suggest two or three schools based on our in-depth knowledge of schools in England, that work hard to integrate our international students and we believe best suit your needs, for you to choose from.  We provide all necessary information on the schools to help you make an informed decision about which school to apply to.

Do you prepare me for an interview if this is necessary?

Yes. In most cases in state schools the video interview is a discussion leading to agreement over the subjects to be studied and so there isn't so much preparation to do if we are satisfied that you are right for the school. In other cases, including private schools, we will provide more guidance to in order to give them the best opportunity of securing a place at the school.

How do I choose my course of study?

One important difference you will note is that at an English school you will study fewer subjects than in most other countries between the ages of 16 and 18 but they will be studied in greater depth. Most schools will ask you to choose three or four subjects from a list of options. For students between the ages of 14 and 16 there will be many mandatory subjects plus a choice to make up the remaining 3 to 5 subjects. Students normally discuss their preferred subjects during the video interview and these are regularly agreed and included in the offer.

Do I have many subjects to choose from?

Yes. Most schools in England offer a wide range of subjects in addition to the usual subjects such as mathematics, arts, languages, sciences, history and geography, film studies, philosophy, psychology, product design, physical education, law, business studies and many more. We always consider your favourite and most important subjects when choosing schools to recommend to you.

Do I have to take examinations?

Most students will not need to take external exams during their stay in England unless they stay for the full two year study programme with exams at the end of the second year.   However, many schools still offer the option of following some AS level courses in Year 12 (the first year of the "A" level course) and if so then the school would normally ask you to follow this course and to take the exam at the end of this study year.  Success in these examinations is a good indication to your school back home and to future employers, that you reached a commendable level of achievement in the English language.   Even if you are attending only for a short period you will still have the opportunity to commence an examination course so that if you decide to extend your stay, you will have the opportunity to take the examinations.

Should I study abroad for a whole school year, only half a year or for a shorter period of time?

All our programmes are designed to give you the maximum benefit out of the period you spend studying abroad. Our shortest programme is four weeks because this is the minimum period we feel you need for your English language skills to noticably start to improve. We will always recommend for you to spend as long as possible studying in England as you will continue to benefit from the relationships you build and your language skills will continue to improve. However, it is important to balance the length of time spent in England with how you intend to catch up on your studies when you return.

Which school year will I join in England?

Over 90% of our students join the first year of the Sixth Form where they study the A level or IB course, plus BTEC subjects in some schools.  In England, students aged 14 to 16 study a two year GCSE during Year 10 and Year 11 in preparation for joining the Sixth Form.  International students are normally not permitted to commence studying in England during the second year of a course since they would have already missed the first year of the course, unless it is for a short study period such as one semester.  Students aged 16 to 18 normally join Year 12. Occasionally students are permitted to join in other year groups.  Important note: Be careful not to equate the school year denominations with those in your own country since often they are different.      

What additional costs can I expect?

Apart from spending money (often referred to as pocket money) the most significant additional costs for students living with host families are: travel expenses, school dinners, school trips, leisure pursuits, insurance and school uniform - when this is required.  Additional costs for students living in boarding schools include the cost of guardianship plus accommodation and travelling to and from a host family during exeat weekends and the half- term breaks. All studying for longer than 6 months need to take into account the additional external costs associated with securing a visa - the Secure English Language Test, the visa application and Healthcare Surcharge. 

back to top

4. What should I do to prepare for my study period?

Will I have contact with my host family before I travel to England?

Yes. It is most important that you have a good amount of time to build up a relationship with your host family before you travel to England.

If I am to live with a host family is it possible to visit them before arriving?

Most certainly.  However, most students use the 2 months before arriving to get to know their host family over video chats and so it is not necessary. 

May I visit the school before the start of the course?

Most schools will require you to join a video link for an interview - this is mandatory for all students who require a visa. Some schools - especially private boarding schools may require you to attend for an interview.  With other schools, it is normally possible to arrange a visit during term time - even after you have been accepted - when staff will make you welcome and give you a tour of the school and introduce you to some of the students.

Can I book my flight through Barnes?

Booking flights is very easy for people these days on the internet. There are many cheap deals available with the many low cost airlines, especially from Europe, and so it is better for you to have the flexibilty rather than for us to book the flight as part of the package. We will inform you which are the nearest airports to your area in England and encourage you to book the flight soon after we have confirmed the start date for your study abroad period.

Will I need my passport?

All students should travel with their passports. EU Identity cards will not be accepted for travel beyond October 2021 and so a passport is required.

Can I travel alone from my own country to England?

Many students choose to travel to the UK on their own. By the time you travel over you will have got to know somebody in school and also you will have been in contact with your host family for around 2 months. However, we welcome parents over and some choose to come from Europe for a weekend in the summer months whilst others choose to bring their child over to settle them in and meet the host family. If you prefer to travel alone, then your host family must be fully aware of your travel plans so that they are ready to welcome you when you arrive at their house. You must carry your host family contact details and our own central contact details in case of a need to get in touch.  If you are under 18 we recommend that you travel with a permission form from your parents. If you are under 16 some airlines will not allow you to travel alone and a small number of airlines that do allow you to travel alone require you to have completed what is called "Unaccompanied Minor" details before your arrival at the departure airport.

If I travel alone to England, will someone be able to meet me at the airport?

Yes.  If you are travelling alone we will be very happy to make the arrangement for you to be met at the airport and to be transferred to your host family. We deal only with specific companies in whom we can trust to take good care of you.

Do I need insurance of any sort?

All students must commit to purchasing a minimum of third-party-liability insurance to cover their stay in England. We also strongly recommend an insurance policy that covers loss of property, cancellation insurance and private healthcare insurance (please see below). We will recommend a student insurance company in England at the time of securing your place

Do I need private healthcare insurance?

We always recommend a minimum of Emergency Healthcare insurance which should cover being taken home if it is not possible to fly or parents being brought over to you in the case of an emergency. For students with visas the Healthcare Surcharge cost allows you access to the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK and so private healthcare isn't necessary unless you wish to be treated quicker in non-urgent situations. All students will have access to the NHS Accident and Emergency care. For those students studying for less than 6 months without a visa you will have access to the NHS but any treatment cost will be charged at 150% of the NHS cost and therefore we always recommend that you travel with private healthcare insurance.

Will I have to wear a uniform?

The majority of state school 6th forms (Years 12 & 13) allow students to wear casual clothes. Private schools (apart from in some 6th forms where business atire can be worn) and Years 11 and below in the state school system normally require students to wear uniforms and specific sportswear. You will learn about uniform requirements when we recommend suitable schools to you during the application process. If a full school uniform is required we would recommend that you purchase this before the start of your study period. We can put you in contact with the right people for this. The cost of uniform does not have to be expensive, especially for state schools in England since it needs to be affordable to low income families in the UK. We can recommend shops where it would be unusual to spend more than £200 purchasing all the uniform requirements for a school; mostly it will cost much less than this. When students study for one term or less the schools are sometimes able to help by lending a student items such as a school blaser. Parents regularly comment that it is much cheaper for their son/daughter to wear uniform in England than to maintain their usual requirement for clothing them at home.

Should I buy an English mobile phone?

The most cost effective solution to be in contact with your English friends and host family in England is to buy an English SIM card for your mobile. These are readily available at supermarkets for a small fee. We therefore recommend that you travel to England with an unlocked mobile phone ready for use with an English SIM card.

Should I bring my laptop?

To have a laptop in England will certainly be useful. England offers many free Wi-Fi points and most host families have Wi-Fi available at home. However travelling with your laptop will be at your own risk and so suitable insurance is recommended.

Can I open a bank account in England?

Rules for opening a bank account in England can be quite strict. The rules for the main high street banks (HSBC, Lloyds, Natwest, Barclays, etc) will all differ slightly, even though the banking experience will be similar. It is free to open and use a personal bank account in the UK. Students studying here on a visa are allowed to open a bank account and we can request a letter from the school to assist you with this. More students choose to travel with a charged credit card from home these days and so it isn't necessary to open a bank account.

What else should I pack?

Before you pack you should ask your host family or boarding house about what is available for you to use. If you are flying it can be expensive to carry extra luggage over the 15-25kg luggage allowance.  It is also important to consider the English climate at the time you are studying. Don't forget that the weather can vary greatly between the date you arrive and later in the term. For instance, in late August/early September the average temperature is normally 20°C whereas in December the average temperature is 5°C. If, like most students you do not return home until Christmas, you will need clothes for warm weather as well as for cold weather, and of course wet and dry weather.  More packing information will be given when preparing you for your study period.

What final preparation will help me get the most out of my study experience?

We will provide you with information about the local area and details of the school. We will also send information before you travel so that you can start to plan your trip. The best way to integrate yourself into your local area and meet a broad cross section of friends is to participate in activities that you enjoy outside of the school day. Each school normally offers extra-curricular activities and the local area will offer clubs and associations for you to benefit from. If you leave home with an idea of what you would like to participate in, you are more likely to make the most of your experience. 

back to top

5. What should I expect from my study period in the UK?

How many students will there be in my lessons?

All schools and courses can vary but as a general guide lessons in the 6th form (Years 12 & 13) normally have between ten and twenty students in a group. 

Are there any facilities for continuing with music tuition?

Virtually all schools have visiting teachers for stringed, woodwind and brass instruments offering private lessons (approximately £12 for a 30 minute lesson).  Private lessons can also be booked outside of school.  Most schools have various music ensembles, often an orchestra and students can get involved in other musical activities provided by the local Music Service.  It is often possible to take music as an "A" level subject.

Can I go horseriding, play tennis, football or golf?  What about swimming and gym facilities?

Facilities for most sports are available around the schools we use.  If a particular sport is important to you we will be pleased to put you in contact with local organisers of your sport. We believe it is important for students to continue to play your favourite sports while in England, since it is a good way to build a broad range of like-minded English friends.

Will I have to buy school books?

Most text books are provided by the school. You should be prepared to take care of these to avoid paying fees towards any damage made to them. You will only need to provide general stationary including paper for your notes. Contributions towards specialist equipment for subjects such as art can be required by some schools.

Can I join any after school groups?

Extra-curricular activities are an important part of school life in England. Students mix with many like-minded people participating in their chosen activity creating an ideal opportunity to make friends and enjoy other interests. Groups in most schools include sports clubs such as football, basketball, hockey, tennis, etc. chess, drama, debating, choir, orchestra, big band and many more.  Many of the schools we use also offer the Duke of Edinburgh Award as another personal development option. Schools publish lists of activities at the start of each term.  If you can't find your chosen activity in school then we can help you join in with activities in the local area.

How much homework will I have?

It is normal for you to receive homework for each subject each week. As a guide it would be normal to expect to do at least two hours of selfstudy outside of teaching periods each day.

What are criteria for the selection of a host family?

The most important criteria when selecting our host families is their desire to welcome a student into their home to share in their family life, to take an active interest in the student's experience and progress, to care for them and give guidance and support to their student so that they can fully and safely benefit from their study period in England. All our families are visited regularly to ensure the standard of accommodation is suitable and our high standards continue to be maintained. Our local representative in for your school area, who will meet you soon after you arrive in the UK so that you can turn to them at any time, is very important in supporting our host families and closely monitoring each student's progress during their study period. In addition to this we follow all the latest legal guidance and we pay for all host family members over 17 years old to be DBS checked.

Will I get my own room?

Yes, in all cases when living with a host family you will have your own private room. This will have all the basic furniture - a comfortable bed and space to store your clothes and belongings. In addition to this there will a table/desk for you to study at. This could be in your room or somewhere else in the house away from distractions such as televisions.

Do I need to help with the housework?

To really benefit from the experience it is important to understand that you will be living within a home as part of the family and not as a tourist. You will be expected to contribute to family life as if you are the host mother's own child. You should always keep your room neat and tidy, offer to help out with basic chores around the house such as helping lay the table and clear the table after meals. The way you will be treated will also be as part of the family - you will be welcomed to be included in family activities, building relationships with extended family and friends of your host family.

Will I live far away from the school?

We always endeavour to find host families within easy distance of the school. Some families live within walking distance, others a reasonable bus/train journey away. The situation will be similar to in your own country where local students live in the centre near the school or surrounding villages. Our local representative will advise you on how to purchase a bus pass, if this is necessary.

How much pocket money will I need?

This is a difficult one to be precise about since students vary in their demands.  During the study period you only really need money for your school lunches, local transport (not always necessary), hygiene products and cosmetics but most students will continue to spend in the manner that thay are used to at home on leisure interests, socialising, trips, snacks, and if they choose to eat out - possibly with a few friends for a cup of tea and cake.  A basic allowance should therefore be based on your spending pattern at home

What will living in boarding accommodation be like?

There are many different types of boarding houses and we will be able to advise you in more detail about specific boarding houses when we discuss particular schools with you. Bedrooms and bathrooms are always single sex. A small number of boarding houses offer individual bedrooms, whereas most provide multishare bedrooms (often up to six beds in a room). Bathrooms are normally shared between a small group of students. There will be a Boarding House Supervisor (normally a member of the teaching staff) who will be in overall charge of your boarding house.  He/she will become your immediate guardian and the adult you will quickly feel comfortable approaching about any issues.  Boarding houses are comfortable but not normally luxurious. Time is spent with students of mainly the same age. Rules of boarding houses will vary but in general the rules are normally quite rigid to cater for students with differing maturity levels.

When can I learn to drive?

In the UK people may learn to drive as soon as they reach the age of 17.   Young pupils tell us that it is much cheaper to learn in the UK since you do not have to have a stipulated number of lessons.   You may go to a driving school, start lessons and as soon as your Instructor feels you are ready, you may apply to take the test.  You will need to check for your particular country but for most EU pupils a British licence can usually be converted to a licence in your own country.

back to top

6. What will happen during my study period in the UK?

What will happen when I first arrive at my host family?

You will arrive at least one day before the beginning of school and, depending on when the first day of term falls, up to three or four days before the beginning of term. You will be welcomed by your host family and they will be eager to settle you into their home. You should use this time to familiarise yourself with the local area and talk to your family about the route to school. Very early after your arrival your local representative will make herself known to you and will give you advice about the local area - places to visit and things to do. You will also be introduced to any other students that we have studying in the local area to you. The first few days are an important time to start to build the new relationships that will develop over the course of your study period. Be open and willing to spend this time with your new host family and the people you are introduced to.

What will happen on my first day at school?

You will have been given details of who you are to meet and the time and date you should meet them at school on your first day. The contact will meet you and will give you an introduction to the school and any other international students. They will then start to help you mix with the English students so that you can begin to build relationships with them. You will also be given time to talk about the subjects that you have chosen and your timetable will be discussed. Use this time to ask any questions you may have and in particular make sure you enquire how to join in with the extra-curricular activities you are interested in.  The sooner you start to mix with students doing activities you enjoy the quicker you will feel at home in your new environment.

Who do I turn to at school if I have questions or a problem?

In England the school system is very supportive towards students as it is fully believed that a student will achieve more in a supportive and caring environment, therefore students should feel comfortable approaching any member of staff. However, all schools in England run a tutor system and many of the schools we use run a buddy system for international students.  A buddy for a foreign student is another student who knows the school well and gives you a contact of similar age to turn to as an alternative to your tutor. A buddy also gives you another way to meet new friends on joining the school.  Your tutor will be your personal contact to turn to about anything you wish to discuss with them at the school. If they can't personally help you they will introduce you to somebody that will be able to assist.

How much will my English improve?

Whatever your English language ability when you travel to England, you will experience a significant improvement during your initial study period. It normally takes two weeks to start to experience a noticable improvement and then every week beyond this you will continue to build and gain confidence. Our study programmes are designed to immerse you into the English language and English culture, as we are careful to place only a small number of international students into each area to maximise your opportunity to make the most of practising English. The speed at which you improve will depend upon your willingness to take advantage of the opportunity offered to you. If you lock yourself away outside of school time talking mainly to people back home then this will dramatically slow down the rate at which your English language skills will improve.

Will my family be able to visit me in England?

Your family and friends are very welcome to visit you. Weekend visits to England are very easy from mainland Europe with regular and good value for money flights being readily available. If you would like advice on suitable places to stay and visit, your host family and local representative will be able to assist you. We are also always available to give advice if required.

When does the school day normally start and finish?

Lessons normally start shortly after 9am and end around 3:30pm, after which there are many opportunities for all students to participate in many sporting, musical and other activities both within the school and outside the school. Some schools use a different timetable for their day where students may study later in the day.

If I attend a state-day-school and live with a family what happens if I have a problem with the family?

We consider the personal relationships between your host family, your local representative and the school to be most important and aim to keep everybody working together to help ensure your happiness. Since 1975 we have carefully placed students with host families and it has become evident that the few problems that can occur are normally based on misunderstandings that can be resolved via communication. When problems are raised we always act quickly to resolve them whether we are contacted directly or you contact our local representative. The relationship between the student and the family almost always strengthens if any problems are resolved, so we ask all students to be open-minded and actively try to work things through with their host families. In very rare circumstances when the parties agree that it would be beneficial for the student to move host families we will move the student to an alternative family as quickly as possible. However, you should bear in mind that all students take a period of time to settle in and adjust to your new life in England while building up new friendships. If you feel unhappy at all during this period, which will vary for each student, we are very experienced at settling in students and this is an important period to talk to and be honest with your host family and your local representative. Our network of support around you will help you settle in so that you get the most out of your stay.

What happens if I am ill?

All students are entitled to use the National Health Service (NHS) Emergency Care and to see an NHS doctor. Those who require a visa (for study periods longer than 6 months), payment of the Healthcare Surcharge is mandatory which gives access to the NHS in a similar way to a British person. If you are living with a host family then you should register with the family's doctor. If you are at a boarding school they will have a full-time Nurse or Matron who is in charge of the School Sanatorium where you can receive treatment.   You will also have easy access to the School Doctor who may visit several times a week if the school is large. In all cases we still recommend you obtain private health cover which offers the advantage of early attention in non-urgent situations.

Can I explore the area during my study period in England?

Yes - our local representative and host family will advise you of the places worth visiting during your stay. At weekends and during half- term breaks you will have time to explore the area of England you are studying within.

Will I always be supervised during my stay in England?

For homestay students your host family will be your immediate guardian. You must respect their rules. The extent to which you will be allowed to do things without adult supervision will depend upon your age, your maturity, the host family's knowledge of the local area, the hours of daylight, your ability to contact them if necessary, your confidence in finding your way around the local area and the trust that has developed between you and your host family. Your host family will quickly learn from you and your parents how much freedom it is sensible to give you. When you make an unusual request they may decide to refer to your own family for permission but at all times they are responsible for you and so you must obey your host family's advice. For students living in boarding accommodation the schools are likely to have rigid rules as they are responsible for many different students with differing levels of maturity. The rules of the school that you attend must be obeyed. In all cases we advise that students do not travel alone unless it is a pre-agreed journey where adults know of your destination and are available at the end of a phone in case you need to contact them with your mobile.

Who will be available for me to contact in the case of an emergency?

Before you travel we will give you all of our contact details and we will be available for you or your parents to contact us at any time of the day. We are central to the relationship between you and your parents, your local representative, your host family and your school and we understand the needs of teenagers - we know the importance of reacting quickly to important matters as soon as we are contacted, even if this is the middle of the night. We have personally placed you in a school and have full knowledge of and a personal relationship with all the people caring for you, we are in the same country as you and so we are ideally positioned to deal with any matters arising.

back to top

7. What will happen after my study period in the UK?

What happens after my study period in England?

Your study experience is far from being over when you return to your home country. During your study period in England you will undoubtedly make many friends and you will have continued a relationship with us from your initial enquiry. These personal relationships often continue for many years and some students stay in contact with their new friends, their host family and with us for the rest of their lives. England is very easy to travel to from most countries and so it is possible to return to meet with your friends on a regular basis. Our host families often speak of having just seen a previous student who had returned to England for a few days. We are also always interested to hear how our students are getting on after they have returned home and we keep in regular contact with many of our past students.

If I have any questions after I have returned home who do I contact?

We (the Barnes family) are your main contacts from your original enquiry, throughout your stay and beyond. If you have anything that you need after you have returned home please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do our very best to help you.

back to top